In 1994 RMJM was invited by the Tron to undertake a feasibility study to develop the theatre and site. This study developed into an ambitious, successful National Lotterybid which saw the Tron transformed and rationalised. The theatre itself (Grade A-listed, by James and Robert Adam and dating from 1795) was completely refurbished.
Unremarkable outbuildings to the south of the theatre were demolished: replaced by a rationalised new complex of bar, restaurant, dressing rooms, studio theatre and administration wing.
A redundant space behind the neo-Baroque Burnet Wall (1899) became the new box office, foyer and exhibition space.
The art commissioning took a curatorial approach which sought to match the complexity and richness of the Merchant City, the Theatre’s site and the new and existing architecture.
The range of work reflects the Tron Theatre’s broad and varied programme. The selection of artists included those whose work complemented RMJM’s and those whose work counterbalances the architecture. Some of the art is very architectural in its own right (Richard Wright and Andrew Miller), some is sculptural (Kenny Hunter and Daphne Wright) and some is the result of a careful social and consultative process (Tracy MacKenna). All artists sought to reflect the nature of working within a dynamic, social and theatre environment.
1998: Glasgow Institute of Architects Design Award (The People’s Choice)
1998: Glasgow Institute of Architects Design Award
2000: Civic Trust Commendation